Friday, May 10, 2013

Capricorn



i've forgotten, maybe, 
what made me remarkable to my parents  -- 
the placement of the stars on my birthday,
orion's refutable irrelevance,
his sword a pointed indication;
an index finger stretched in
constellary condemnation --
i've forgotten
what this  means for me  --  (my "cosmic space")  --
proverbial butterflies' wings.
I thought my arms were swords;
To embrace me was to bleed.

but i have known the inside of your mouth for 
quick, intimate moments--
there it is! the soft, billowy sail of cheek, 
the private flesh of neck; 
the dog-tooth, sharp, provocative, the plaintive, 
crazy tongue. and i recall,

under a harvest moon, looks that
even at the time seemed
slightly more than half-intended, 
looks whose futures worm-holed us into infinite
scenarios: soft osculations and 
oft walks along the wintry potomac;
skinned rabbits! too much salt!
brazen manifestos of the heart!
incorrect, (y)our incorrections,
treading waters,
boilings over,
sittings in church with that particular
church-light i was taught to distrust,
and your kneelings at the pew 
in an attitude of humility -- my own indiscretion,
confusion, my deliberate sinnings, my 
socratic questionings; if
god, then what,
if not, then
who, and
that first day in church with that particular
church-light all i saw was you -- neither god nor
constellation -- 
and the future made the sound a flower makes
as it unfolds inside a drum,
My hearts iambic thrum. You
a rhythm moved to match and meet
that which cannot be un become.

and, now, when we're together,
lying wet as mermaids once we've slipped apart,
my heart… my heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment